"Bokashi" is a Japanese term meaning "fermented organic matter", it is a method of intensive cold composting, similar to fermenting and pickling.
The future of composting is here! Cold composting retains the nutrients that are normally lost to heat and evaporation during traditional composting. It is the most efficient and greenest method of composting and produces no greenhouses gases!
Benefits of the Bokashi Kitchen Compost System:
- Supercharges the natural biology of your soil.
- Keeps food waste out of the landfill and adds beneficial enzymes, colloidal minerals and vitamins in the soil.
- Ideal for indoor spaces (on counter tops and under sinks).
- Does not create a strong odor of putrefaction like other composting systems.
- Compost usually completed in 2 - 4 weeks after being buried, compared to the 3 months or more needed for decomposition in a compost pile.
The Bokashi Compost Kit Includes:
- 1 - Bokashi Bucket (color may vary, see above image)
- 1 - 2 lb. Bag of Bio Blend™ Bokashi Mix
- 1 - Compost Turning Spatula
- 1 - Measuring Cup
- 1 - Instruction Booklet
The Bokashi Composting System in Easy to Use:
- Sprinkle a layer of Bio Blend™ Bokashi Mix in the bottom of the Bokashi bucket.
- Add food scraps and kitchen waste to the bucket.
- At the end of the day, add a layer of Bio Blend™ Bokashi Mix on top of the food waste.
- After each use, seal the container with the air tight lid.
- Alternate layers of food waste and Bio Blend™ Bokashi Mix until the bucket is full.
- Once the bucket is full, allow two weeks for fermentation.
- During fermentation, drain the liquid fertilizer concentrate from the Bokashi bucket every 3 or 4 days. This should be diluted and used within one week.
- Dilute fertilizer concentrate to 25:1 for soil applications, 50:1 for foliar applications.
- The solids remaining in the bucket can be added directly to the soil in your garden or placed in a traditional compost pile.